Retrospecting the Roller Coaster Ride: 2020

 


Finally, the year is about to end but hardly the challenges and uncertainties. Their existence prevails indefinitely. Retrospecting year 2020 might sound tedious and mundane to many of us but I must say, it has been an “extraordinary year” at an individual as well as global level. It’s a year we might want to wash off from our subconscious mind but lets’ prefer to retain the lessons it taught to this inhumane human civilization.

Personally, like everyone else I also kicked off 2019 and welcomed 2020 with great excitement, vigor and enthusiasm. My bucket list was ready, New Year resolutions were all set, strategies were well framed and targets seemed not so far. The start was quite decent but suddenly some catastrophic element poked and the world was completely changed. “Bloodshed and Deaths” engrossed 2020.



To begin with the capital city, engulfed in communal riots and violence followed by emergence of some deadly virus which forced the entire planet into complete lockdown. Gas leak and fire at numerous plants and oilfield, natural disasters, flight crash and losing our soldiers at border were yet other evidences that witnessed devastating loss of lives.

Now, like everybody else I was also locked up in my house preparing new dishes each day thinking I could be the next Master Chef. This recently declared Pandemic bestowed me my best family moments I can count on. (Learning - “There is no precious gift other than TIME”)

Moreover, connecting with nature, planning lockdown birthday for siblings, reading interesting novels, trying hands on photography and acquiring new skills made me feel rejuvenated. (Learning - “Problems come with Opportunities”)

 But, amidst all this I feared and could sense other disheartening surprises coming our way and there it was.

The BBC news Headline read “CoronaVirus Lockdown: Migrants dying to get home”. Another headline read “CoronaVirus Lockdown: India Jobless numbers cross 120 million”. Unemployment, loss of livelihood, global hunger and desire to reach home amongst migrants recorded tremendous rate of growth. Besides this, Country’s GDP showed worst quarterly slump in decades (23.9%). Consequently, 2020 dwindled Economy. 

With 3-4 sets of clothes in my bag I travelled to my hometown in hope of returning back soon. But, how I spent these 9 months with limited resources made me wonder about the extra resources we spend on ourselves each month. (Learning – "Real needs of life are meagre")

Also, visualizing the financial struggle of families, society and nation as a whole evoked a resolution that each one of us should take this New Year and i.e. to spend less and save more. (Learning – "Savings are your only savior in tough times")

Any good news in 2020 was unexpected but after long wait of 8 years when four convicts of Nirbhaya case were hanged to death brought a sense of inner joy and relief. But, 2020 won’t allow you to remain happy for so long. Right? So, it threw another brutal case in front of the screen, Hathras Gangrape - The worst event we could have imagined. The case highlighted the ruthlessness, injustice and barbaric behavior of the authority upholding ‘Varna’ values above victims’ dignity and sexuality.



Train services suspended; Schools and Colleges were closed. Depression and Anxiety rates were ascending. Hostel lives halted and there were no more fun rides and travel to places with friends. Old snaps and pictures reminded me of “wo din bhi kya din the”. Online became a priority. Be it shopping, meeting, learning, working or celebrating. Moreover, Masks, Sanitizer and Social distancing turned out to be a new normal and with this I realized the importance of sanitation, cleanliness and health. This Year 2020 even made me believe in existence of superheroes (health workers, policemen, sanitation workers, maids, gardener, barber, milkman etc.) who served as a backbone in this devastating tragedy. It gave me a sense of belief that trust, unity, helping and caring nature still prevails in the society we all live. (Learning – "No work is big or small")

World lost many of its notable, prolific and eminent personalities from different fraternities during this pandemic. This led to a conclusion that virus comes without discrimination between rich-poor and such disasters spare no one.

Besides all this traumatic experiences, I as an individual would personally thank this year 2020 for making me more practical, mature, strong, courageous and determined. It brought me close to the universal reality of life and prepared me for the worst. It taught me to be more dynamic and open to new learnings. It taught me to value relationships and stay connected to people. It even taught me that education is wealth.



So, 2020’s rollercoaster ride affected us in every way. It brought numerous negativities but at the same time it brought innovations and ideas which helped us to deal with such tragic event. One of the crucial learning we can learn from 2020 was “Life never stops. Tragedies will keep happening, but the show must go on.”  

Before entering 2021 with a hope of getting vaccinated, “Get your bucket list ready, set your resolutions, frame your strategies and aim for a target.” It may look hard but it’s achievable. Trust me. After all, “Ummeed pe toh duniya kayam hai”!


Happy New Year 2021!😃

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Talk about MENSTRUATION : Unhide the Hidden Shame

Covid-19-: एक भूत या बीमारी??

मां- बाप का अर्थ ?